Preface I cannot thank enough those pupils, and friends, who urged me to write against "The Satanic Verses" from an Islamic perspective. Had it not been for their enlightening requests, this humble work would not exist. I have been delighted to have been of a little service to Islam, and only Allah knows the great extent of inner pleasure and comfort that I have felt in the course of this work. I dedicate this essay to all those who have felt even a little pain from Rushdie’s novel. May God give us all strength to serve in His Way. I would like to acknowledge, with warmest thanks, the use of the following translation of the Holy Quran:"The Meaning of the Glorious Quran" Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali Nadim & Co, London, 1983.
Introduction Great publicity has been given to Rushdie’s Satanic Verses, and to Muslim objections to this literature. Apologetics of Rushdie have made so many excuses to justify the publication; that it is only a fictional novel, that the Muslims who object to it have not read it, that it has been misunderstood, that it represents free speech, that Muslims’ actions are unlawful, that Rushdie’s motives have been misunderstood, and other lame excuses. Rushdie has been portrayed as a capable artist, of the elite, who is being condemned and hunted by illiterate and savage Muslim mobs. Iran’s declaration of a death sentence on him has been seen as an interference in the affairs of Britain, in British law, by a country of fanatics. Nothing can be further from the truth. Even the most ignorant and illiterate believer must be intelligent enough to realise what he believes, and why. As such, he is more educated, and wiser, than even a disbelieving Oxbridge professor, as regards his own faith.1 Hence, those Muslims who protest against Rushdie’s novel, and are offended by it, including those from Iran, know of, and are affected by, something which unbelieving critics cannot realise. What is that something? In this essay, it will be argued that Rushdie’s work is a manifestation of ‘evil’, an attack on ‘good’. Therefore, Rushdie is no different from other disbelievers who similarly mocked the Prophets [May the Peace of God be upon them) and their Messages, throughout the history of mankind. By rejecting Islam, Rushdie has wronged his own soul.2 Man has been warned against Satan3 but is misled by evil. Rushdie will get respite for a given length of time4 but his actions will be judged in the Hereafter and, if he has not believed and repented, he will be one of the doomed. His writing of the novel is not only an action which has attacked the Believers, it is also a rebellion against God Himself. Those who justify his publication must also be the sympathizers of that rebellion. Rushdie’s novel is exactly what it is called, The Satanic Verses - the verses which he has written have been inspired by Satan himself. ******* What was the purpose of Salman Rushdie’s novel, The Satanic Verses? Apparently, it has been written as a literary novel, to be read as fiction, without implications for reality, intangible. In truth, however, it contains implicit suggestions which ridicule Islam, so that it may make a mockery of this great religion in real-life. Just what its appalling slander is trying to achieve is anyone’s guess. Rushdie may have wanted great financial remuneration from a controversial book, and indeed Penguin-Viking have given him substantial royalties.5 He may have hoped that sensationalism might make his novel famous, or rather infamous. Rushdie might simply have wanted to be known, famous himself, and, regretfully, he is now so famous that he has to stay in hiding! Finally, and most importantly, the novel could have been an evil scheme, hatched by Rushdie and his publishers, to discredit and weaken Islam.6 The fact that it was written as a novel may have been a cowardly exit. If objections became intense, the publishers could say, "Well, it’s only fiction" as indeed has been said. The novel is, in fact, "poison-pen" writing, full of malice and spite, though Rushdie has not, fortunately, remained anonymous. Nevertheless, he was still too cowardly to write the vulgar filth as nonfiction - it would then have seemed to be ostentatiously diseased. Most of the British public is moderate and intelligent. As in other ‘industrialised’ countries, Britain has a high rate of literacy, an essential requirement of a ‘developed’ economy. Many Britons may then have wondered why such a vulgar and distasteful book was published, even in the form of a novel. Why on Earth did Penguin-Viking, hitherto respectable publishers, endorse a piece of filth, which was likely to cause a storm of justified protest from its implicit targets -the Muslims? Nonsense can never benefit, since it is the opposite of knowledge and wisdom. To mock the revered characters of Islam must have been a primary motive for publishing the novel, and mischief-making can never benefit any soul. Despite the publication of Rushdie’s novel, Muslims must not assume that Britons hate Islam. The vast majority of Britons are Christian, or of Christian origin, and many have been working very purposefully to remove ugly racism, and appreciate Islam. Anyhow, the publication is in no major way connected with Christians because ‘Jews7 have published it. The blame also lies on the former Kuwaiti government, which substantially owned Viking - an astonishing fact in the light of Kuwait being a Muslim country. The Jews of Penguin publishers are hypocrites, traitors of their own people. Rushdie has attacked the Prophet Abraham (May the Peace of God be upon him), and this has caused pain to the Muslims, who believe in all the prophets sent by God. But it should have caused pain to the Jews, for Abraham (May the Peace of God be upon him) was of the Jewish race. Jews have also been persecuted throughout history for their transgressions, including the betrayal of the Prophet Jesus (May the Peace of God be upon him). Moreover, since Rushdie’s novel is extremist and therefore typical of a true racist, it is easily identifiable with Zionism, but definitely not with the views of the average Briton who acknowledges Islam as a major faith. Muslims would, however, have a grievance with the interpretation of the concept of "free speech". The concept cannot be taken to ridiculous limits, to protect blatant aggression, as in the case of The Satanic Verses. "Free Speech" cannot mean ‘absolutely free’. There must logically be restrictions on what may be said and how. The fact that editors do edit books (or in Penguin’s case are supposed to edit books) because of offensive wording, extremist ides, and the like, proves this to be the case. Because of editing, certain employers may not word their advertisements as: ‘no black need apply’ or ‘young, white, middle-class male required’, since this is objectionable, although it may be a private, racist view. So, Rushdie should have kept his poisonous and loathsome perversions and fantasies in his own sick mind. The evil publishers should have known better than to publish strange material which could only undermine their own repute and credibility. Obviously, the publishers have made a terrible mistake and this is seen by the furore, both international as well as national, that the book has caused. Penguin-Viking, though, would be too avaricious and stubborn to admit it. It is certain that they are the laughing stock of the publishing world, some publishers thanking God that they did not make the same mistake. British legislation, or blasphemy laws, do not protect Islam, although Muslims have been resident in Britain for decades. Since there are over a million followers of Islam in Britain, such a minority is too major a force to ignore, as the Rushdie incident has shown. Is Rushdie unique in mocking or condemning Islam? Throughout the history of mankind, devils among men have mocked the messengers of God. So, of course, he is not unique - indeed, he is not the worst to mock what is True.9 Because he disbelieves, Rushdie is tempted to attack belief, and is similar to the idolaters who mocked and abused the Prophet Muhammed (May the Peace of God be upon him) in the early days of his prophethood. He is in the same mould as Jews, idolaters, atheists and other disbelievers. The arguments which God presented to the idolaters in the Holy Quran, in the Prophet’s (May the Peace of God be upon him) time, therefore apply equally to Rushdie. If this would-be miscreant does not repent, he will be another component of Hell-Fire, joining such likes as the Pharaoh who tortured the Jews in Moses’s (May the Peace of God be upon him) time, the Jews who betrayed and rejected Jesus (May the Peace of God be upon him), the unbelievers who were punished by the flood in Noah’s (May the Peace of God be upon him) time and many, many more ‘celebrities’, including Dajjal, or the Anti-Christ. Dajjal in Islam represents the supreme evil, complete with supernatural powers of witchcraft and magic. The Anti-Christ will appear just before the end of the world, or ‘Armageddon’ in Christian terms. He will be slain by the Prophet Jesus (May the Peace of God be upon him) who is at this moment alive, never actually having been crucified.10 Islam contains a number of dichotomies: Believer/unbeliever, This life/Hereafter, Good/evil, Paradise/hell. Rushdie can be classified, as other disbelievers, as an unbeliever who attaches importance to this world rather than the next, so commits evil and will find his place among the denizens of Hell.11 To recapitulate, the publication of the Satanic Verses is an evil scheme, hatched by a perverted defector from Islam and the accursed Jews, to disgrace the revered symbols of Islam, the Truth, the Word of God. This action is typical of enmity towards Islam throughout history. Since the British government are not believers, it cannot share the hurt that such blasphemy has caused. Since the government is concerned with materialism and this worldly life, it interprets the wickedness of the Satanic Verses in a secular way - as free speech in a democratic society, rather than as the ridiculing of God’s Message, and Truth itself. Assuming that Rushdie does hate Islam, and there is no reason to dispute this, the question may be asked as to why he hates this religion? In fact, why is Islam hated by so many disbelievers, despite the fact that it is the world’s fastest-growing religion, with more converts being attracted to it than to any other religion? Suggestions will now be made. Perhaps the major reason for the hate is that Islam disapproves of "materialism", the idea that this current, worldly life is all-important and that wealth is a ‘god’. Imagine that you are a disbeliever. All of a sudden, the world is free.12 With the prospect of minimal punishment under secular law, assuming the punishment will be punished (adultery is not punished, nor is fornication - in fact it is encouraged), you are tempted to commit fornication, adultery and sexual indecency. You can turn to homosexuality or lesbianism. You can display your women as sex symbols and topless models. You can fulfil your selfishness to the utmost - keep on trying to get as rich as possible by whatever means, lawful, unlawful, or both. You can get drunk and act like a beast. You can get ‘high’ and take all kinds of lethal drugs. You can promote your piece of Earth’s territory and treat it with pride, discriminating against the rest of the territory. This is nationalism. You can hate fellow mankind because he looks different, despite the fact that mankind is all one family - racism.13 You can gamble away your usury-based’4 wealth selfishly. You can have a ‘wacky’ time - "you only live once, so why not make the most of it"? But what if you are a believer? Your women must be modest, must wear scarves. Your sexual lust must be strictly controlled, you must not drink alcohol, take other intoxicants, or gamble. Add to that the having to give of charity, forsaking hunger and thirst in the Holy Month of Ramadhan and praying five times a day, and you have ‘submission’, whereby your life has to conform to a certain pattern and your animal instincts are checked. The world would therefore seem to be a prison. 15 The promised reward of Paradise would be. a lifetime away and for the unbeliever there would be no guarantee of that anyway. Is it little wonder then that certain unbelievers object to the principle at the heart of Islam - why should they forsake pleasure for pain, exchange leisure for work? Their selfishness makes them take advantage of, or. grasp, what is available now, never mind the future. Their impatience will not let them wait for the next world, the Hereafter. Their stupidity denies God, the Lord of the Worlds, and with unbelievable f oily,16 they deny the very concept of "life after death". Man must appreciate the Mercy, Power and Glory of God - He has created us. This is the very essence of worship; we must remember God.17 But if an unbeliever is obsessed with the need to add to his wealth, to grow richer and richer, and devotes all his lifetime to this end, then, by his very actions, he is taking wealth to be his god.18 Because this is unacceptable to Islam, the unbeliever must ‘naturally’ reject Islam, which is a hindrance to greed, pride, luxury and usury. Rather than believe the Truth, disbelievers might believe that the Holy Prophet Muhammed (May the Peace of God be upon him) was a false prophet and that he wrote the Holy Quran himself, and did not receive revelations. Such disbelief is not logical. Jesus (May the Peace of God be upon him) prophetised that Muhammed (May the Peace of God be upon him) would be sent by God with the Message.19 The Holy Quran was revealed to Muhammed. -(May the Peace of God be upon him).20. The religion of Islam was not invented by Muhammed (May the Peace of God be upon him), as is widely assumed, but was continued by him.21 Islam was founded at the very beginning of man, at the time of Adam (May the Peace of God be upon him) himself, and it was passed on through time by many thousands of prophets, including famous ones such as Noah, Jesus, Moses, David, Abraham, Joseph (May the Peace of God be upon them all), and ending with Muhammed (May the Peace of God be upon him). 22 Islam may also be hated because the Holy Quran - God’s Word - does not suffer fools gladly. So many times in this Book has God warned man about evil, and so the unbelievers have only themselves to blame if they have been misled by Satan. They are the rebellious and will suffer in Hell. Now the unbelievers know that thy do not believe, so they must be the ones referred to in the Holy Quran. Rather than heed its warnings and take its advice by believing in the Truth, they hate the Truth, and turn against it. Islam makes it clear just who the believers are, and gives warning and bad tidings to those who reject God’s Message which, unfortunately, the rejectors do not like at all and which, furthermore, angers them.23 But, on the Day of Judgment, Truth will prevail over falsehood.24 Whatever the reason for hating Islam, the unbelievers are, in fact, making excuses to refute the Truth. In Rushdie’s case, he mocks it, but ridicule and abuse, and vile insults, will not change what is True. Has Rushdie’s monstrous and perverted ‘book’ damaged Islam? Of course not. It certainly cannot affect God, who is the Truth. God is the Self-Sufficient25. He does not Himself benefit if man works righteousness, or is Himself affected in any way if man does evil, or even abuses Him. To Him is the return, after death, and man will then be judged. Hence, Rushdie has wronged his own soul.26 He has lost guidance.27 And in his book, Shame too, Rushdie insults the Holy Quran in foul-mouthed language [when one character speaks to another]. Rushdie, or any other disbeliever, cannot by his mischief beguile those who believe - his disbelief will only strengthen our belief, since we will thank Him that we are rightly guided by His Mercy and Favour.28 We believe that God revealed the Holy Quran through his Angel to the Prophet Muhammed (May the Peace of God be upon him) and do not doubt this one tiny atom. The enemies of Islam cannot change the Truth by making allegations which they wish were true, to justify their own evil actions. Satan it was who inspired Rushdie to write abusively, since he is fond of falsehood and all foul. 29 The unbelievers will not frustrate those who believe30 and, what is more, the efforts of unbelievers, good or evil, are wasted.31 Muslims may have been hurt by the bizarre ‘novel’, but such emotion is really a blessing for them, for it illustrates their love for God and His Messengers. Furthermore, the believers will become determined to unite against evil, and in God do they put their trust, so that He may dispose of all affairs for them in the best possible way.32 Conclusion Rushdie has sinned, and it is in the nature of man to sin. By attacking Abraham (May the Peace of God be upon him) and Muhammed (May the Peace of God be upon him), two important symbols, or representations, of righteousness, Rushdie has, in fact, attacked God Himself, and His Message. Rushdie’s rebellion against God is in the same vein as Satan’s rebellion after the creation of ‘man’ was. Therefore, Rushdie is a disciple of Satan - both have attacked the Supreme Authority through evil. There is not doubt that Satan tempted Rushdie - and Rushdie obliged, fell into the trap. Why does Satan tempt man, and why does man fall victim? When God created the first man, the Prophet Adam (May the Peace of God be upon him), He commanded the Angels to bow down before man. All obeyed except Satan,33 because he was proud. Satan felt jealous of man’s high rank and asked God for permission to lead him astray. God allowed such permission for a given time, for the duration of the worldly life, so that He might test mankind, so that man might commit evil (be tempted by Satan) or good (shun Satan).34 Since He is All-Knowing, everything is predestined.35 He is Merciful, and will forgive sin as long as man repents. But those who disbelieve and do not repent are permanently tempted and, as such, their punishment is Hell.36 Those who shun temptation [they may sin but repent and ask for forgiveness, and believe] are rewarded with Paradise. The extent of God’s Mercy is awesome. Even now, if Rushdie repents asks for His Forgiveness, (and God is All-Knowing) and amends his conduct, he will be forgiven.37 But such repentance must be genuine and not simply to show the world, a false gesture. If he does not, the Hell will be his abode in the Hereafter. Believing, repentance and amendment are not applicable to only Rushdie - they apply equally to all nonbelievers. Anyone who believes in God and His Prophets and works righteousness is a believer. So it is very easy to transfer from disbelief to belief, the two opposites, and God would till be kind enough to show His Mercy. Why don’t all unbelievers become believers? References to the Holy Quran 1. Light upon Light! Allah doth guide Whom He will To His Light. (Lit is such a Light) In houses, which Allah Hath permitted to be raised To honour; for the celebration In them, of His name: In them is He glorified In the mornings and In the evenings. (XXIV, 35—36)
Can he who was dead, To whom We gave life, And a Light whereby He can walk amongst men, Be like him who is In the depths of darkness, From which he can Never come out? Thus to those without Faith Their own deeds seem pleasing. (VI 122)
2. Verily God will not deal Unjustly with man in aught: It is man that wrongs His own soul. (X44)
3. If a suggestion from Satan Assail thy (mind) Seek refuge with Allah; For He heareth and knoweth (All things).
Those who fear Allah When a thought of evil From Satan assaults them, Bring Allah to remembrance, When lo! they see (aright)! (VII 200—1)
4. Verily, to thy Lord Is the return (of all). (XCVI 8)
5. The Unbelievers spend their wealth To hinder (men) from the path Of Allah, and so will they Continue to spend, but In the end they will have (Only) regrets and sighs. (VIII 36)
6. And (the unbelievers) Plotted and planned, And God too planned, And the best of planners Is God. (III 54)
7. Strongest among men in enmity To the Believers wilt thou Find the Jews and Pagans (V 82)
8. Anyone who, after accepting Faith in Allah, utters Unbelief, - Except under compulsion, His heart remaining firm In Faith - but such as Open their breast to Unbelief, - On them is wrath from Allah, And theirs will be A dreadful Penalty.
This because they love The life of this world Better than the Hereafter: And Allah will not guide Those who reject Faith. (XVI 106-7)
8a. The Unbelievers are Protectors, one of another. (VII 73)
Say: "Truly, my prayer And my service of sacrifice, My life and my death, Are (all) for Allah, The Cherisher of the Worlds. (VI 162)
9. Mocked were (many) apostles Before thee: [O Muhammed) but I granted Respite to the Unbelievers, And finally I punished them: Then how (terrible) was My requital!) (XIII 32)
10. That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus The son of Mary, The Apostle of Allah": But they killed him not, Nor crucified him, But so it was made To appear to them Nay, Allah raised him up Unto Himself: and Allah Is Exalted in Power, Wise. (IV 157, 158)
11. The Unbelievers will be led to Hell in crowds; Until, when they arrive there, Its gates will be opened, And its Keepers will say, "Did not apostles come To you from among yourselves, Rehearsing to you the Signs Of your Lord, and warning you Of the Meeting of this Day Of yours?" The answer will be: "True: but The Decree of Punishment Has been proved true Against the Unbelievers!"
(To Them) will be said: "Enter ye the gates of Hell, To dwell therein: And evil is (this) Abode of the arrogant!" (XXXIX 71-2)
12. What is the life of this world But play and amusement? But best is the Home In the Hereafter, for those Who are righteous Will ye not then understand? (VI 32)
13. O Mankind! We created You from a single (pair) Of a male and a female And made you into Nations and tribes, that Ye may know each, other (Not that ye may despise each other). (XLIX 13) 14. Those who devour usury Will not stand except As stands one whom The Evil One by his touch Hath driven to madness That is because they say: "Trade is like usury," But Allah hath permitted trade And forbidden usury
Allah will deprive Usury of all blessings, But will give increase For deeds of charity For He loveth not Creatures ungrateful And wicked. (II 275, 276)
15. Nay, seek (Allah’s) Help With patient perseverance And prayer: It is indeed hard, except To those who bring a lowly spirit,-
Who bear in mind the certainty That they are to meet their Lord, And that they are to return to Him (II 46)
16. How can ye reject, The faith in Allah? Seeing that ye were without life, And He gave you life; Then will He cause you to die, And will again bring you to life. And again to Him will ye return. (II 28)
17. And be ye not like Those who forget Allah; And He made them forget Their own souls! Such Are the rebellious transgressors! (LIX 19)
18. Those who desire The life of the Present And its glitter, - to them We shall pay (the price Of) their deeds therein, - Without distinction.
They are those for whom There is nothing in the Hereafter But the Fire: vain Are the designs they frame therein And of no effect Are the deeds that they do! (XI 15-16)
19. And remember, Jesus, Then son of Mary, said: "O Children of Israel! I am the apostle of Allah (Sent) to you confirming The Law (which came) Before me, and giving Glad Tidings of an Apostle To come after me, Whose name shall be Ahmad" But when he came to them With Clear Signs, They said, "This is Evident sorcery!" (LXI 6)
20. And this is a book Which We have revealed As a blessing: so follow it And be righteous, that ye May receive Mercy. (VI 155)
21. Nothing is said to thee (O Muhammed) That was not said To the apostles before thee: That thy Lord has At His Command (all) Forgiveness As well as a most Grevious Penalty. (XL1 43)
22. (Muhammed is) The Apostle of Allah, And the seal of the Prophets: And Allah has full knowledge Of all things. (XXXIII 40)
23. Verily We have brought The truth to you: [O Mankind] But most of you Have a hatred for Truth (XLIII 78)
24. Ah woe, that Day, To the Rejecters of Truth! (It will be said:) "Depart ye to that Which ye used to reject As false!* * Hell "Depart ye to a Shadow (Of smoke ascending) In three columns,
"(Which yields) no shade Of coolness, and is Of no use against The fierce Blaze.
"Indeed it throws about Sparks (huge) as Forts,
"As if there were (A string of yellow camels (Marching swiftly)".
Ah woe, that Day, To the Rejecters of Truth!
That will be a Day When they shall not Be able to speak,
Nor will it be Open to them To put forth pleas
Ah woe, that Day, To the Rejecters of Truth!
That will be a day Of Sorting out! We shall Gather you together And those before (you)!
Now, if you have A trick (or plot), Use it against Me!
Ah woe, that Day, To the Rejecters of Truth!
As to the Righteous, They shall be amidst (Cool) shades and springs (Of water),
And (they shall have) Fruits, - all they desire
"Eat ye and drink ye To your heart’s content: For that ye worked (Righteousness)".
Thus do We certainly Reward the Doers of Good.
Ah woe, that Day To the Rejecters of Truth!
(O ye Unjust!) Eat ye and enjoy yourselves (But) a little while, For that ye are Sinners.
Ah woe, that Day To the Rejecters of Truth!
And when it is said To them, "prostrate yourselves!’ They do not so.
Ah woe, that Day To the Rejecters of Truth!
Then what Message: After that, Will they believe in? (LXXVII 28—50)
25. Thy Lord is Self-Sufficient, Full of Mercy: if it were His Will, He could destroy You, and in your place Appoint whom He will As your successors, even as He raised you up From the posterity Of other people. (VI 133)
26. Verily God will not deal Unjustly with man in aught: It is man that wrongs His own soul. (X 44)
27. Evil as an example are People who reject Our Signs And wrong their own souls.
Whom Allah doth guide, - He is on the right path: Whom He rejects from His guidance, - Such are the persons who perish.
Many are the Jinns and men We have made for Hell: They have hearts wherewith they Understand not, eyes wherewith They see not, and ears wherewith They hear not. They are Like Cattle, - nay more Misguided - for they Are heedless (of warning). (VII 178-9)
28. O ye that believe! Fear Allah, and believe In His Apostle, arid He will Bestow on you a double Portion of His Mercy: He will provide for you A Light by which ye Shall walk (straight In your path), and He Will forgive you (your past): For Allah is Oft - Forgiving, Most Merciful. (LVII 28)
29. O ye who believe! Follow not Satan’s footsteps: If any will follow the footsteps, Of Satan, he will (but) command What is shameful and wrong: And were it not for the grace And Mercy of Allah on you, Not one of you would ever Have been pure: but Allah Doth purify whom He pleases: And Allah is One Who Hears and Knows (all things). (XXIV 21)
30. Let not Unbelievers Think that they can Get the better (of the Godly): They will never frustrate (them).
Against them make ready Your strength to the utmost Of your power, including Steeds of war, to strike terror Into (the hearts of) the enemies, And others besides, whom Ye may not Know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever Ye spend in the Cause Of Allah shall be repaid Unto you, and ye shall not Be treated unjustly. (VII 59-60)
31. Say: "Shall we tell you Of those who lost most In respect of their deeds? "Those whose efforts have Been wasted in this life, While they thought that They were acquiring good By their works? - They are those who deny The Signs of their Lord And the fact of their Having to meet Him (In the Hereafter):vain Will be their works, Nor shall We, on the Day Of Judgement, give them Any weight.
That is their reward - Hell; because they rejected Faith, and took My Signs And My Messengers By way of jest. (XVIII 103-6)
32. Men said to them: "A great army is gathering Against you": And frightened them: But it (only) increased Their faith: they said: "For us Allah sufficient And He is the best Disposer of affairs.
And they returned With Grace and Bounty From Allah: no harm Ever touched them; For they followed The good pleasure of Allah:
And Allah is the Lord Of bounties unbounded. (III 173-4)
33. Behold, the Lord said To the angels: "I am About to create man From clay:
When I have fashioned him, (In due proportion) and breathed Into him of My spirit,
Fall ye down in obeisance Unto him."
So the angels prostrated themselves, All of them together;
Not so Iblis: he Was haughty, and became One of those who reject Faith.
(Allah) said: "O Iblis! What prevents thee from Prostrating thyself to one Whom I have created With My hands? Art thou haughty? Or art thou one Of the high (and mighty) ones?"
(Iblis) said: "I am better Than he: Thou createdst Me from fire, and him Thou createdst from clay."
(Allah) said: "Then get thee Out from here: for thou Art rejected, accursed
"And My Curse shall be On thee ‘till the Day of Judgement."
(Iblis) said: "O my Lord! Give me then respite Till the Day The (dead) are raised."
(Allah) said: "Respite then Is granted thee -
"Till the Day Of the Time Appointed."
(Iblis) said: "Then, By Thy Power, I will Put them all in the wrong, -
(Allah) said: "Then It is just and fitting - And I say what is Just and fitting - "That I will certainly fill Hell with thee And those that follow thee, - Everyone." XXXVIII 71-85
34. Those who believe Fight in the cause of Allah, And those who reject Faith Fight in the cause of Evil: So fight ye against the Friends of Satan: feeble indeed Is the cunning of Satan. (IV 76)
35. No misfortune can happen On earth or in your souls But is recorded in A decree before We bring It into existence: That is truly easy for Allah. (LVII 22)
36. As to those who are Rebellious and wicked, their abode Will be the Fire: every time They wish to get away Therefrom, they will be forced Thereinto, and it will be said To them: "Taste ye The Penalty of the fire, That which ye were wont To reject as false". (XXXII 20)
37. Say to the Unbelievers, If (now)they desist (from Unbelief) Their past would be forgiven them But if they persist, the punishment Of those before them is already (A matter of warning for them). (VII 38)
But (even so), if they (the unbelievers) repent, Establish regular prayers, And practise regular charity, - They are your (believers’) brethren in Faith: (Thus) do We explain Signs In detail, for those who understand. (IX 11)